Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Winter, Winter and Pasta

So it is winter. It feels like a Nor'easter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor%27easter with a mix of snow and sleet, fine pebbles of frozen rain. School was cancelled as I predicted. Kids slept in this morning. Coffee tasted good and picked-up the morning paper, my routine. Temperature was not bone chilling. The thermometer posted on the pool fence recorded 24F. Birds swarmed the feeders as usual, but the yellow finch has not come yet. I wonder why.

On my way to work, the landscape was quiet, peaceful and beautiful. But, country roads were slick and treacherous, so did I-78 to Newark. Star Ledger posted photos on their blog site http://blog.nj.com/weather/.

Work was quiet. Hospital rounds was short and fast. No new consults.

Driving home was a lot easier. Roads were cleared off snow and ice by afternoon rush hour. New Jersey has so many county, state and interstate roads but they do take care of these roads during inclement weather conditions.

At dinner, my wife served pasta vodka. I opened a bottle of merlot. My kids had sparkling peaches, ShopRite brand. The aroma of pasta and burning hickory wood in the fireplace with my family at the dinner table made the day worthwhile. We said happy valentines to each other.

No comments: