Saturday, March 3, 2007

Brining Turkey

It sounds odd this time of the year but our family friend missed a good thanksgiving due to an unfortunate surgery. So, we have another thanksgiving celebration right close to spring. I do not mind it because I like turkey.

Brining makes turkey moist in the oven. I learn it (brining) from Bon Appetit many years ago. Since then, I made some modifications and better.

Here is my way.

In a tall pan, pour about a fourth of a 3 lbs box of kosher salt. Add 8 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tsp whole black pepper and about 8 dried bay leaves. Fill pan half-way and boil at high heat. Let it boil until salt is dissolved and be able to smell garlic.

Rinse thawed turkey and place in a 10 gallon zip-lock bag. Pour brine and add water until turkey is just submerged. Lock zip-lock and place in a large Coleman cooler. Dump a couple of ice bags.

Let it brine for 12 hours.

Rinse turkey and let wife or significant other do the rest.

No comments: