Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Trip to Upstate New York

This is holiday week, one day away before Thanksgiving. It is the non-commercial holiday that dates back to the established English colony in the 1600's. College kids are coming home and I am designated to pick-up my son at SUNY (State University of New York), Binghamton campus.

Drive was easy with cloudy skies, light drizzle and occasional deer carcasses from road kill. Roads are hilly. Trees are gray and leafless, a clear sign fall on its way out. Winter is around the corner.

I made great time just in time to pick him after his last class. Waited for few minutes, enough to get a quick nap after a three hour drive.

On our way back, we had sporadic light rain and traffic a bit heavier.

We talked about his girlfriend and her plans for the holidays. Switched to his majors of mathematics and psychology. We got bit involved on numbers theory and experimental psychology, not realizing I was over speeding.

On our way back, there was no radio, iTune, or text messaging. It was a pure and wonderful one-on-one conversation with my son, great time for bonding.

Some pet-peeve of the trip, upstate New York and Pennsylvania has two lane highway. I am getting spoiled on three lane highway in Jersey.

Back home, dinner cooked and served by my wonderful wife with seafood pasta in white sauce and red wine.

No comments: