Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kitchen Faucet

Several weeks ago, we replaced the water heater not because it wasn't working but it reached its supposed lifespan. We have great hot water alright. But by Monday, kitchen faucet had no hot water. The rest of the has hot water, bathroom sink and shower. Thanksgiving is a few days away. Imagine without hot water in the kitchen. My wife becomes anxious.

Calling a plumber right away is not a common human behavior. Plumbers are not cheap. So, I decided to confront the situation. Checked the plumbing. No leaks. Water heater running. I went under the kitchen sink, touched the hot water pipe. It was hot. The kitchen faucet was broken! I can be a plumber.

I went to Home Depot the next day.

Today, I replaced the broken faucet. Then, it dawn on me why plumbers are not cheap. Fixing under the kitchen sink is like a work-out. Working in tight space with bulky tools is a challenge. But, being limber and lean has advantage.

Now, the moment of truth. No leaks. Turned on the faucet. No water was coming out!

There was the caveat. I did not read the instruction. It said remove the aerator before turning on. I removed it then turned it on. Walla! water comes out.

At the end of the day, I save myself 200 to 300 bucks considering our economic predicament these days.

No comments: